Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Australian companies may be using sweat shops off-shore

I went on the Pacific Brands website recently. Pacific Brands is the parent company to many much loved Australian brands. There are too many to list here so here's the link to their website. http://www.pacificbrands.com.au/our-brands.html

I wanted to check them out because I had noticed that they had been part of something called the Ethical Trading Initiative. Under this initiative companies are responsible for reporting on and making public what goes on in their factories. Sadly, Pacific Brands stopped being transparent back in 2008. I sent them an email to ask them if they could vouch for their factories and, as of a week, have had no reply. I guess I won't be buying Bonds undies or Berlei bras anymore.

On a more positive note, there are loads and loads of on-line ethical businesses and some of them have shops or outlets in Adelaide. My husband found a factory/shop today which makes clothing. It's located in Kilkenny. I know it's possible for workers to be badly treated here, however, we have laws against it and companies can get into strife if they do so. Here's the link to the shop my husband found. He ended up buying two jumpers and a polo shirt for $45. Not bad.

http://www.silverfleece.com.au/about/our-retail-store/

No comments:

Post a Comment