Thursday, August 9, 2012

Taking it the Nth degree

I saw a meme on Facebook the other day which  read, You won't eat Chik-Fil-A because the CEO believes in traditional marriage? So when will you stop buying gas because Saudi Arabia believes homosexuality is punishable by death?.. The reason I have opted not to post the actual meme is because I don't want anyone who may be looking at my blog for the first time to see it posted bold as brass and think that I've posted it because I endorse it. I don't. I question it.

Apart from being somewhat facetious the meme certainly takes things to the Nth degree. Is the implication that one should only boycott Chik-Fil-A if one is prepared to give up driving or is it that if you can't give up driving why boycott Chik-Fil-A? If one did give up driving would that also include the use of buses and taxis etc?

The other day I made a comment on another blog about Cadbury being owned by Kraft and, therefore, being unethical. I got a response from a fellow follower along the lines that it was all too hard because no company was truly ethical and to look at the whole issue opened a can of worms.

She was absolutely right. However, should one stop doing what one CAN do because of what one can't do? It would be pretty unrealistic for people to stop driving in some parts of the US or here but boycotting a fast food outlet is easy for most of us. Should I buy Cadbury products because I have no choice when it comes to other things? For my family and me it's about doing what we can. If we have an ethical or eco-friendly option we're going to take it. We drive but have tried to cut back in order to lower emissions. But I'm now feeling pretty good about the fact that I'm also making a stand for human rights by buying less petrol.

Another person who read my blog gave me some really concrete suggestions for setting up a self-sufficient lifestyle. It was great and maybe in the future we'll look to do it. For now, however, we're getting our productive garden up and running in the near future and doing what we can do where we are now. In fact, the other day Husband and I had a progress check. We looked at how we're doing and how we can improve. There's always room for improvement.

I know I've written before that what we do may or may not make any difference but that we're still committed to doing it. Surely the people boycotting Chik-Fil-A have the same right; to do what they feel is right. It doesn't matter if they're still driving - they feel like they're doing something. Ultimately doing something is better than throwing your hands up in the air in despair and doing nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment